CBSE Class 6 English Grammar – Word Power
This chapter includes antonyms (opposite), single word for a group of words and the same word used both as Noun and Verb.
A. Antonyms (Opposites)
B.Single word for a Group of Words
- One who believes in the existence of God – Theist
- The yearly return of a date – anniversary
- An assembly of listeners – audience
- One who plays for pleasure – amateur
- The life history of a person written by himself – autobiography
- The science of plant life – botany
- The life history of a person written by another – biography
- A person who lives at the same time as an other – contemporary
- Done without any preparation – extempore
- One who believes in fate – fatalist
- A room containing many books – library
- A period of hundred years – century
- A period of two weeks – fortnight
- Resulting in death – fatal
- One who makes a powerful public speech – orator
- That which lives on another – parasite
- Happening at the same time – simultaneous
- A list of books – catalogue
- A place for burial of dead bodies – cemetry
- Of or from all parts of the world – cosmopolitan
- Government formed by the representatives of the people – democracy
- Contrary to law – illegal
- Bad beyond reform – incorrigible
- A play that ends in death – tragedy
- A light amusing drama or play – comedy
- One who takes a bright view of things – optimist
- One who takes a dark view of things – pessimist
- A child born after the death of his father – posthumous
- A piece of writing before it is published – manuscript
- One who speaks for others – spokesman
- Performing work without pay – honorary
- Government carried on by an absolute ruler – dictatorship
- That which cannot be read – illegible
- One who does not know how to read and write – illiterate
- That which cannot be heard – inaudible
- A child whose parents are dead – orphan
- A woman whose husband is dead – widow
- A man whose wife is dead – widower
- One who lives on vegetables or plant food – vegetarian
- Science of the life of animals – zoology
- Subject to death – mortal
- Government by a king – monarchy
- One who does not believe in the existence of God – atheist
- A cure of all diseases – panacea
- An instrument for measuring temperature – thermometer
C. Words used both as a Noun and Verb
|S.N.||Word||As a Noun||As a Verb|
|1.||Air||I want to go out for fresh air.||Put the clothes out to air.|
|2.||Aid||NGOs are run on aid from the government.||They aided him to escape.|
|3.||Aim||My aim in life is to become a doctor.||I aimed at the target.|
|4.||Arm||I leaned on my father’s arm.||A country should arm against the enemy.|
|5.||Bank||I have an account in a local bank.||You can bank on me.|
|6.||Bat||The batsman changed his bat.||He batted well.|
|7.||Bark||The bark of this tree is useful.||Dogs are barking.|
|8.||Battle||A serious battle took place.||He is battling for his life.|
|9.||Back||I have a serious pain in my back.||He has promised to back me.|
|10.||Book||My friend has bought a new book.||I have booked my room in a hotel.|
|11.||Bridge||The bridge is under-construction.||We should bridge the gap between the rich and the poor.|
|12.||Face||His face is round.||I have never faced a clumsy person. :|
|13.||Fair||Children love to visit fairs.||One should be fair in one’s dealings.|
|14.||Fan||My mother bought a new fan.||My mother fanned me with a paper.|
|15.||Fine||I have to pay a fine of fifty rupees.||I am fined fifty rupees.|
|16.||Head||The man hit me on my head.||Mr. Sharma will head the meeting.|
|17.||Hide||These boots are made from buffalo hide.||The child hid himself under the bed.|
|18.||Highlight||I saw the highlight of the match.||Please highlight the important lines in red.|
|19.||Hook||The towel is hanging on the hook.||A car was hooked to the back of a truck.|
|20.||Milk||I love to drink milk.||The farmer is milking the cow.|
|21.||Park||I walk everyday in the park.||Don’t park your vehicle here.|
|22.||Reason||Please tell me the reason of your late coming.||Gradually man developed his ability to reason.|
|23.||Tail||Monkeys have long tails.||The spy is tailing me for. several days.|
|24.||Trim||These plants need a trim.||The gardener trimmed the plants.|
|25.||Water||Please give me a glass of water.||The gardener is watering the plants.|
Fill in the blanks with the help of the words given in the box.
- My towel is wet but yours is ______________ .
- He never comes early, he is always ______________ .
- I hoped that he would accept my proposal but finally he ______________ it.
- Deposit the amount and ______________ it whenever you need.
- Peace is always good, ______________ is always bad.
- My box is light but yours is ______________ .
- I have only friends and no ______________ .
- My brother is minor. Next year he will become ______________ .
- I always remember happy days and want to ______________ bad ones.
- This road is ______________ but that road is narrow.
- My towel is wet but yours is dry.
- He never comes early, he is always late.
- I hoped that he would accept my proposal but finally he rejected it.
- Deposit the amount and withdraw it whenever you need.
- Peace is always good, war is always bad.
- My box is light but yours is heavy.
- I have only friends and no enemy.
- My brother is minor. Next year he will become major.
- I always remember happy days and want to forget bad ones.
- This road is wide but that road is narrow.
Write one word for the following group of words.
- That which cannot be heard.
- One who believes in fate
- A cure of all diseases.
- One who speaks for others.
- A period of hundred years.
- One who doesn’t know how to read and write
- One who believes in the existence of God
- One who doesn’t believe in the existence of God
- The life history of a person written by himself
- The life history of a person written by another