Our team of subject expert teachers has prepared and reviewed the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 8 Body Movements are given here will help you to prepare well and score good numbers in exams.
Body Movements NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Science Chapter 8
Class 6 Science Chapter 8 Body Movements Exercise Questions and Answers
Fill in the blanks:
- Joints of the bones help in the ………………………………… of the body.
- A combination of bones and cartilages forms the ………………………………… of the body.
- The bones at the elbow are joined by a ………………………………… joint.
- The contraction of the ………………………………… pulls the bones during movement.
Indicate true (T) and false (F) among the following sentences :
(a) The movement and locomotion of all animals is exactly the same.
(b) The cartilages are harder than bones.
(c) The finger bones do not have joints.
(d) The forearm has two bones.
(e) Cockroaches have an outer skeleton.
Match the items in Column I with one or more items of Column II:
|Column IX||Column II|
|Upper jaw||have fins on the body|
|Fish||has an outer skeleton|
|Ribs||can fly in the air|
|Snail||is an immovable joint|
|Cockroach||protect the heart|
|shows very slow movement|
|have a streamlined body|
|Column IX||Column II|
|Upper jaw||is an immovable joint|
|Fish||have fins on the body|
|Ribs||protect the heart|
|Snail||shows very slow movement|
|Cockroach||has an outer skeleton|
Answer the following:
- What are a ball and socket joint?
- Which of the skull bones is movable?
- Why can our elbow not move backward?
- The rounded end of one bone fits into the hollow space of the other bone, such kind of joints is called a ball and socket joints. Ball and socket joints allow movements in all directions.
- In the skull only the lower jaw is movable.
- Our elbow cannot move backward, because the elbow has a hinge joint that allows movement in one direction only.
Class 6 Science Chapter 8 Body Movements InText Questions and Answers
Take a deep breath and hold it for a little while. Feel your chest bones and the backbone by gently pressing the middle of the chest and back at the same time.
Now Answer the questions :
Did all the ribs seem similar?
How many ribs could you count?
Name two very important and delicate organs that are protected by the box made of ribs.
Heart and lungs.
Ask a friend to touch his toes without bending his knees. Put your fingers at the centre of his back. Can you feel some long and hard structure? Starting from the neck, move your fingers downwards on the back of your friend. What you feel is his backbone.
Now Answer the question :
Is the backbone flat or does it have ups and downs ? It is a single bone or made of many bones?
Backbone has ups and downs. Backbone is made of many small bones.
The rib cage is joined to these bones.
Make a paper boat. Put it in water and push it with one narrow end pointing forward [Fig. 8.3 (a)].
Did it go into the water easily?
Now hold the boat sideways and push it into the water from the broadside [Fig. 8.3 (b)].
Are you able to make the boat move in water when you push it from this site?
No, it is not easy to push it from the side.