CBSE Class 12 English Writing Skills – Invitation & Reply
FORMAL AND INFORMAL
Man is social by nature. Hence interaction and communication between human beings is quite natural. In fact, it has become unavoidable. We may share views either orally or in writing.
We hold many social functions such as celebrations of birthday, engagement, wedding, marriage anniversary; appointment, promotion. Invitations form an important part of social dealings. An invitation is a request to an individual to come or go somewhere, or to do something.
Invitations can be both formal as well as informal. Formal invitations are formal letters. They can be printed on cards or can be drafted in the form of social letters.
Formal invitations can be of two types:
- Printed invitation cards inviting guests to be present on a particular occasion. Such invitations do not include the name of the addressee.
- Formal typed (handwritten) letter addressed to a VIP invited to preside over a social, cultural and educational function. In these invitations to VIPs the name of the addressee appears prominently.
Formal invitations are formal and polite, pleasant and courteous.
Informal invitations generally take the shape and form of personal letters. We use these to invite our friends, relatives and dear ones with whom we have intimate, personal and friendly relations.
In informal invitations the tone and treatment is relaxed, informal and friendly.
A. FORMAL INVITATIONS
- A formal invitation is normally a single sentence presentation in third person.
- Formal invitations are generally printed invitation cards. We use them to invite guests on some auspicious occasion like birthdays, weddings, inauguration of shops, houses, etc.
- The invitation answers the questions who, whom, when, where, what time and for what, i.e.,
- the occasion
- name(s) of the invitee
- name(s) of the host
- date, time and venue
- The other details include name, designation and address of the organiser, sponsor or host or the name(s) of the chief guest or special invitees, in case of an official invitation.
- Printed formal invitations don’t include the name of the addressee.
- Invitations to VIP to preside over a function do carry the name of VIP prominently.
- Length as per CBSE guidelines is limited to 50 words.
I. PRINTED FORMAL INVITATIONS
M/s Shyam Lai & Sons are opening a new general store ‘Galaxy Novelties’ in Geetanjali Enclave, Dwarika, Delhi. The inauguration ceremony is fixed for Sunday, the 19th of October 20XX at 11 a.m. Prepare a draft of formal invitation letter for the purpose.
Draft an invitation on behalf of Mr & Mrs Raj Karan of 38, Kamal Kunj, Varanasi, which they may use to invite their friends and relatives on the 5th birth anniversary of their son Nikhil at their residence on 28 December 20XX.
Your sister Nivedita is going to marry Akhilesh (S/o Mr & Mrs SM. Joshi, Nainital) Your father Mr K.S. Bhardwaj has planned to hold the wedding at Hotel Kunal, New Delhi on 25 May 20XX at 8 p.m. Write a formal invitation on behalf of Mr & Mrs K.S. Bhardwaj inviting guests to the auspicious occasion. Give other details. Do not exceed 50 words.
You are a student of Newton Public School, Nagpur. The school is holding its annual function on Saturday, the 15th November, 20XX at 11 a.m. The HRD Minister Dr M.M. Joshi has consented to be the chief guest. Design an invitation card to be sent to the parents and other invitees. Do not exceed 50 words.
You are the Principal of Zodiac Senior Secondary School, Ooty. The school has completed 25 years of its meritorious services to the society. The Silver Jubilee Celebrations are to be held on Sunday, the 26th October, 20XX. Mrs M. Kamath, the founder Principal will preside. Draft a suitable invitation to be sent to important dignitaries of the city and the parents of students.
You are the secretary of Haryana Civil Medical Doctors’ Association, 2345 Sector 15, Panchkula. You have organised a seminar on AIDS for the members of the association and invited a specialist guest speaker. Draft an invitation for publication in the newspapers.
The literary club of your school is putting up the play ‘Waiting for Godot’. As secretary of the club, draft an invitation inviting the famous writer Sudeesh Gupta to be the guest of honour at the function. Write the invitation in not more than 50 words. You are Govindl Gauri.
You are the Director of Apex Orientations, a leading name in postal coaching for competitive examinations including IIT-JEE and CBSE-PMT. Write letters to the principals of some prestigious schools inviting the names of two brilliant students from each institution to attend their Counselling Session free of cost.
38-A, Old Rohtak Road,
Ph: 25384077, 25381077
25th March, 20XX
Sub: Free Counselling Session
Apex Orientation is a leading name in postal coaching for competitive examinations. We regard your school as one of the prestigious institutions of Delhi. We shall deem it a personal favour if you recommend any two of your brilliant students to attend our Career Counselling Session for IIT-JEE and CBSE-PMT to be held on 10th April, 20XX. The participation will be free of cost.
Kindly send your recommendations by the 7th April.
You are the Secretary of the Old Students’ Association, Mayo School, Ajmer. The 20th Alumni Meet will be held on Sunday, the 28th Sept. 20XX at 8.00 p.m. at Palace Hotel. Write invitation letters to ail the old students of the school to attend the meet.
Old Students’ Association
Sub: 20th Alumni Meet
The 20th Alumni Meet of Mayo School, Ajmer will be held on Sunday, the 28th Sept. 20XX at 8 p.m. at The Palace Hotel Ajmer. Old students, along with their spouses will be our guests of honour.
Kindly assemble at 8.00 p.m. in the banquet hall for a get-together, dance and dinner party.
Please confirm your seats by sending ₹ 500 to the undersigned.
Ayush K. Joshi
You are Sachin Bansal, the Head Boy of Springdales Public School, Gurgaon. Your school is holding an inter-school T-20 cricket championship from 2 Oct. to 8 Oct., 20XX. Write a formal invitation to Sh. B.S. Bedi, the legendary cricketer, to inaugurate the championship on 2 Oct. 20XX at 10 a.m. at your school grounds.
Springdales Public School
25 Sept. 20XX
Sh. B.S. Bedi
Sub: Inauguration of Cricket Championship
Our school is holding an inter-school T-20 cricket championship from 2 Oct. to 8 Oct. 20XX. All the schools of the area are likely to participate. Your presence in our midst will act as a catalyst and inspire us. You are requested to inaugurate the championship on 2 Oct. 20XX at 10 a.m. in our school grounds.
Kindly confirm your availability by 30 Sept.
B. INFORMAL INVITATIONS
Informal invitations follow the pattern of ordinary personal letters. These letters are written to relatives, friends and acquaintances.
- These letters are first/second person presentations.
- Personal feelings and emotions find an expression.
- The writer’s address is given in the usual place.
- The salutation is usually “Dear’ plus “Name’.
- The date of writing is given, but the year is generally omitted.
- The style and tone are relaxed and informal.
- Different tenses are used as the sense demands.
- The complimentary close is: Tours sincerely’.
Rohit has got success in CBSE-PMT. He wants to celebrate his admission to Shivaji Medical College, Nagpur by throwing a party to his friends. Write an informal invitation giving details of venue, time and date. Do not exceed 50 words.
33/427 Priya Vihar
15 July 20XX
You will be glad to learn that I have secured 80th rank in the CBSE-PMT competition. I have got admission in a prestigious institution – Shivaji College, Nagpur. I want to share a few happy moments of my life in the company of my old Mends at a dinner in the Hotel Kanishka at 9.00 p.m. on 23 July, 20XX.
Please join the celebrations and merry-making.
You are Leena Sen. The wedding of your elder sister Reena Sen is going to be held on
the 15th May, 20XX at Hotel Lake View, Udaipur. Write out an informal invitation to your friend Vinnie requesting her to attend the function.
4357, Vasant Kunj
1 May, 20XX
You will be pleased to know that the wedding of my elder sister Reena Sen is going to be held on the 15th May, 20XX at Hotel Lake View, Udaipur. The whole family will move there in the morning. I invite you to join us at lunch in the hotel on the 15th. The wedding ceremony will take place at 8 in the evening.
I do hope you will join us on the auspicious occasion.
You are Ankit Verma. Your friend from Malaysia is staying in the hostel. Invite him to join Diwali celebrations with you at your residence.
315/2 Raja Gardens
25 October, 20XX
You know that Diwali, the festival of lights, is approaching. It gives me great pleasure to invite you to Diwali celebrations at my residence. We shall have great fun.
Do join us for the ‘Puja’ and Diwali celebrations.
Write a letter to your friend inviting him on the house-warming-ceremony of your newly constructed house.
27, Urban Estate
25 July, 20XX
I invite you at the house-warming-ceremony of our newly constructed house in Urban Estate. The ‘hawan’ ceremony is at 10 a.m. It will be followed by lunch at 1.00 p.m. Kindly do join us on this auspicious day. I’ll introduce you to my parents and close relatives.
You are Navin/Neha, the Secretary of the Youth Club of your locality. You are organising an inter-school group-song competition. Invite a prominent musician to act as one of the judges.
5 December, 20XX
Dear Mr Khanna
I shall feel obliged if you kindly spare some time from your busy schedule and consent to act as one of the judges for an inter-school group-song competition to be held on 24th December, 2OXX at 2 p.m. in the Community Centre, Dehradun Road.
Kindly confirm your acceptance by 10th December.
Your parents have completed 25 years of happy married life. Invite your aunt, living in Hyderabad, to join you in the Silver Jubilee celebration of their marriage at your residence.
245 Rose Gardens
25 March, 20XX
My parents Sh. R.S. Swaminathan and Smt. Parvathi Devi will be completing 25 years , of their happy, prosperous and eventful married life next month. We are going to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of their married fife on 5th May, 20XX. It will be a simple ceremony. Only family members and close friends are invited.
Do join us on this auspicious day.
Nikhil has come out successful in the I.I.T Entrance Examination. He has decided to have a party for his friends. Write out an invitation giving details of venue, time and date. Do not exceed 50 words.
D-42, Preet Vihar
10 June 20XX
Do join me on 15 June 20XX at 6.00 p.m. at my residence at an intimate party to celebrate my success in the I.I.T. entrance examination. You will meet a lot of our old friends also.
Looking forward to seeing you.
You are Roshan Khera, a resident of Haryana. Invite your friend Hrishit Arora who lives in old Delhi to spend a part of his summer vacation with you at your farm house near Pinjore.
Raj Pura Village
25 April, 20XX
I will be returning to my farm house after the examination. I invite you to spend at least a fortnight with me at my farm house. It is a pollution free place with lots of trees and greenery all around. The sylvan surroundings will have a refreshing effect on your heart and mind. We shall also visit Pinjore gardens and Kalka hills. Looking forward to your arrival.
You are Atul Gupta. You are opening a new branch of your business house NEWLIGHT FURNISHINGS at C-32, Ansal Plaza, Delhi. Write an invitation to your uncle to attend the inauguration ceremony and bless you.
2475D Model Town Delhi
27 November, 20XX Dear Uncle
With the grace of God and your blessings I am diversifying my business concern. A new branch of our NEWLIGHT FURNISHINGS will be inaugurated at C-32, Ansal Plaza, Delhi on 5 December, 20XX at 9.00 a.m.
Please come in time to join the ceremony and shower your blessings on us.
You are Manoj. You are going on a picnic with a group of your classmates to Kama Lake, near Karnal. Write an informal invitation to your friend Mohit to join you on that day.
2436 Urban Estate
25 Aug, 20XX
You will be pleased to learn that we have devised a way to beat the heat. I, along with five of my classmates, have decided to go on a picnic to Kama Lake this Sunday, i.e., 30th August, 20XX. We’ll assemble at my house at 8 a.m.
Do join us and have fun.
TEST YOUR SKILLS
- You are going on a picnic at the Suraj Kund, near Haryana-Delhi border with a group of your classmates. Send an informal invitation to your close friend Vipin to join you.
- Send a formal invitation to Sh. K.B. Vaid, noted novelist and educationist, to speak on ‘The importance of devotion, dedication and discipline’ in Value Education Club of your school.
- You are Vijay Ahuja, proprietor of KIDS PLANET, a showroom of children’s goods. Draft a formal printed invitation to be sent to your patrons, friends and relatives. Give details such as date, time and venue.
- On behalf of Mr and Mrs V.K. Mehra, draft a printed invitation card for the marriage of their daughter Prabha with Mayank (S/o Mr & Mrs L.K. Dhingra of Faridabad). Give other details such as date, time and venue. (Word limit = 50 words)
- Your school, Modem School, Barakhamba Road, New Delhi is organising its Annual Sports Day. Draft an invitation to be sent to the parents.
- Your school, St. Thomas Public School, Meerut, is organising an inter school one-act play competition. Draft an invitation to famous playwright Vijay Kumar to act as one of the judges.
- Agarwal Education Society, Alwar has obtained franchise of Delhi Public School and intend to start construction of the school building immediately. Draft an invitation of Bhoomi Pujan’ to be held on 25 August, 20XX.
- You are the Principal of KM. School, Bhiwani. Write an invitation to the parents and other important persons of the city to grace the annual function of the school. Sh. K.L. Ahuja, Education Commissioner has agreed to be the chief guest.
- Write out a suitable invitation to be sent to the parents of all students inviting them on the Parents’ Day. You are Principal of ABN School, Bhopal.
- You are the sports secretary of the Sports Club of Hindu School, Sonipat. Invite the famous cricketer Kapil Dev to inaugurate the new cricket complex recently built by the school.
- M/s Spic and Span are opening a new showroom of space saving furniture at Nehru Place, New Delhi. The inauguration is to be held on Sunday, the 23rd November, 20XX at 9.00 a.m. Write a formal letter on their behalf inviting their friends and relatives to the function.
- You are Shirish. You have been selected as pilot officer in IAF. You want to celebrate : the occasion by hosting a grand party to your selected friends. Send an informal invitation to your intimate friend Madhu to join you on this occasion.
- You are the President, Students’ Council of your school. Send a proper letter of invitation to Sh. Sunil Dutt, M.P., to preside over the oath taking ceremony of the newly elected members of the council on 17 September, 20XX.
- Your elder brother Amrit has married Mohini at Bangalore. Your father Mr Sohan Lai Vij wants to hold a dinner to celebrate the wedding. Write a formal invitation on behalf of Mr & Mrs Sohan Lai Vij inviting guests to attend the reception.
- Your grand parents have completed 50 years of their wedded life. Send an informal invitation to your uncle, residing at Mysore to join you in the Golden Jubilee celebrations of their marriage at your house.
- You have opened a boutique in Paschim Vihar. Draft an invitation for the inauguration of the same, specifying the chief guest and other important details like date, time and venue. The invitation should not exceed 50 words.
- The Residents’ Welfare Society of your area is organising a ‘Bal Mela’ on Children’s Day. There will be food-stalls, games and rides along with many attractive prizes. Extend an invitation to the residents to participate in the same in about 50 words.
- The Literacy Club of your school is organising an inter-school caricature contest in your school. Draft an invitation inviting the famous cartoonist Sudhir Tailang to be the special guest of honour during the contest.
- You are Sajjanraj, S/o Sh. Dharmaraj of Greater Kailash, New Delhi. Your father wants you to draft a formal invitation to be sent on the occasion of your sister, Anita Raj’s marriage. Prepare the invitation.
(FORMAL AND INFORMAL)
RESPONDING TO INVITATIONS
A formal reply is usually very short. It is brief and to the point. The quality of a good reply is that it must always be pleasant. Even while declining the invitation or expressing inability to attend one must be polite and courteous. Formal replies demand a formal tone and treatment. There is no room for unnecessary details or superfluous matter in them.
An informal reply or private letter may, however, express personal feelings or desires in an intimate style and informal tone.
(a) Formal Replies
- Acknowledge the invitation.
- Express thanks in third person.
- Mention acceptance/regret.
- Specify the reason for refusal.
- Be brief and specific.
- Be formal in tone and treatment.
- Do not exceed the word limit (usually 50 words).
(b) Informal Replies
- Acknowledge the invitation in first person.
- Use second person for the sender of invitation.
- Mention acceptance/regret.
- Specify the reason in case of refusal.
- Use warm and simple language.
- Do not exceed the word limit (usually 50 words).
RESPONDING TO INVITATIONS
(i) FORMAL REPLIES
Draft a formal reply accepting an invitation to be present on the occasion of the wedding of Ankush S/o Mr & Mrs Shankar of 24, Green Park Road, Kanpur. You are Vikram Gaur of Raja Ki Mandi, Agra.
Mr and Mrs Vikram Gaur thank Mr And Mrs Shankar for inviting them on the occasion of the wedding of their son Ankush at 24, Green Park Road, Kanpur on 15 May, 20XX and assure them that they will be present on the occasion to wish the newly weds a very happy married life. Mr and Mrs Gaur will reach Kanpur by the Agra Mail which leaves Agra at 8.00 a.m.
5 May, 20XX
Write a formal reply expressing your inability to attend the birthday celebrations of your friend Suresh Pradhan of 1235, Vivekananda Marg, Belur. You are Somesh Basu.
Mr and Mrs Somesh Basu wish to thank Mr & Mrs Suresh Pradhan for extending an invitation to the birthday celebrations of their son Akshay at their residence 1235, Vivekananda Marg, Belur on 20 March, 20XX and wish the young boy many happy returns of the day but regret their inability to be present personally on account of some previous engagements.
16 March, 20XX
You are Dr Avinash Bhalla. You have received an invitation from the Director, Health Services, Haryana who has invited leading medical practitioners of the state to attend a workshop on ‘child care’ on 20 May, 20XX at 10 a.m. in Civil Hospital Ambala. Respond to the invitation.
Dr Avinash Bhalla has a great pleasure in receiving the invitation from the Director, Health Services, Haryana to attend a workshop on ‘Child Care’ on 20 May, 20XX at 10 a.m. in Civil Hospital Ambala.
He confirms his presence with thanks.
16 March, 20XX
Draft a formal reply expressing your inability to attend the inauguration of the showroom ‘Regalia’ on Sunday, the 20th July 20XX, at 11 a.m. at B-12, Rohini. You are Navin Jain of C-5, G.K.J, New Delhi and your friend is G.L. Bansal of 23, Sunder Nagar, New Delhi.
15 July, 20XX
Mrs & Mr Navin Jain thank Mrs & Mr G.L. Bansal for the invitation to the inauguration of their showroom ‘Regalia’ on Sunday, the 20th July 20XX, at 11 a.m. at B-12, Rohini, Delhi. However, they express their inability to be present on the occasion due to a prior commitments.
You are Akshya / Aakriti. You have been invited to participate in a seminar on ‘Fundamental Rights of Children’, organised by the Lions Club of your distinct. Respond to the invitation by writing a letter to the Secretary of the club.
25, Aram Bagh Road
5 May, 20XX
Lions Club, Meerut
Sub: Acceptance of Invitation
Thanks for your invitation for a seminar on ‘Fundamental Rights of Children’, and your concern for the under-privileged children. I would like to utilise this opportunity to share my experiences with other like-minded enthusiasts and experts.
1 hereby confirm my participation in the seminar.
Akshya I Aakriti
Sub: Inability to accept the invitation
Thank you very much for inviting me to participate in a seminar on ‘Fundamental Rights of Children’. I feel honoured and obliged. However, I shall not be able to accept your invitation due to some previous commitments which keep me confined to my place on that day.
Thanking you once again for your kind invitation.
Akshay / Aakrit
Mr Arun Verma’s father died on 25 October, 20XX. His friends and relatives wrote to him condoling the death of his father. Draft a formal reply on behalf of Mr Verma, his address being 75, Ring Road, Alwar (Rajasthan).
Mr Arun Verma of 75, Ring Road, Alwar (Rajasthan) feels deeply indebted to all his friends, relatives and well-wishers who have been good enough to share his sorrow in his hour of bereavement. Their sympathy, love and kindness have given him the strength to bear the irreparable loss caused by the sad and sudden demise of his father.
10 Nov, 20XX
You are Prof. N. Dutta, a. famous historian from Kurukshetra University. You have the honour of being invited as the chief guest at a public function. However, due to sudden illness you are unable to attend the same. Draft a suitable reply in about 50 words.
Prof. N. Dutta expresses his thanks to the Secretary and members of the Citizens’ Forum for their kind invitation to act as the chief guest at their public function to celebrate Martyr’s Day. He regrets to his inability to attend the function due to his sudden illness this morning which has confined him to bed.
The inconvenience and embarrassment is regretted.
2 Nov, 20XX
Draft a reply accepting an invitation to be present on the birthday celebrations of your friend’s son. You are Devesh Sarin and your friend is Alok Gautam of 42, Ashok Vihar, Delhi.
Devesh Sarin wishes to thank Mrs & Mr Alok Gautam for inviting him to the birthday celebrations of his son Chirayu at their residence 42, Ashok Vihar, Delhi on 25 September, 20XX at 5 p.m. and assures them that he will be present on the occasion to wish the young boy many happy returns of the day.
20 Sept., 20XX
You are Abhay Minocha, the captain of your school cricket team. You have received an invitation from the St. Thomas Public School, Lucknow to play a friendly exhibition match at their playground. Respond to this invitation.
The undersigned thanks the captain of the Cricket Eleven of St. Thomas Public School, Lucknow for his invitation to play a friendly exhibition match on their playground on the 24th October. He cordially accepts the invitation and hopes to reach Lucknow with his team on the 23rd October by evening.
Captain ABC School Team, Kanpur
You are Rahul/Neha. You have been invited by the Youth Club of your locality to act as one of the judges for an inter-school group song competition organised by the club. But unfortunately you cannot accept this invitation due to a previous engagement. Write to the secretary of the club regretting your inability to accept the invitation.
Neha thanks the secretary of the Youth Club for inviting her to act as one of the judges for an inter-school group-song competition on 4 May, 20XX but regrets her inability to accept the invitation owing to some prior engagements.
The inconvenience is regretted.
2 May, 20XX
(ii) INFORMAL REPLIES
You are Aakash/Varsha. You have been invited to attend the wedding of your friend’s sister during summer vacation. Respond to the invitation, regretting your inability to attend it.
205, Vasant Kunj
4 March, 20XX
Thank you for your cordial invitation on the occasion of your sister’s wedding. I, however, regret my inability to be with you on this happy occasion as we shall be leaving for Shimla for summer holidays on 1 May, 20XX. Please excuse my absence. Do convey my regards and best wishes to the couple.
You are Manoj /Mini. You have been invited to attend a birthday party of your closest friend. Respond to this invitation.
217 MIG Flats
Surya Vihar, New Delhi
15 March, 20XX
I have received your invitation for your birthday party on 25 March, 20XX at 5 p.m. at Hotel Janpath. I am extremely happy to know that all our old friends are likely to be there.
I would like to confirm my participation.
Looking forward to the momentous occasion.
I acknowledge with thanks your kind invitation to your birthday party on the 25th March. I regret to inform you that I will not be able to join you in the celebrations due to some very urgent and unavoidable prior engagements that may keep me tied down here on that day.
Please accept my heartiest felicitations and love.
Kindly accept a small gift that I am sending through courier.
Wishing you a very happy birthday.
You are Arjun /Aparna. Your school has been invited to participate in an inter-school On-the-spot painting competition organised by the Lions Club of your district. As General Secretary of the Painting Club of your school, respond to the invitation.
D.N. Public School
7 March, 20XX
This refers to your invitation to our school to participate in the inter-school on-the- spot painting competition. We thank you for inviting us and gladly confirm our participation in this interesting competition.
Aparna / Arjun
You are Sachin / Shama. You have been selected to represent your school in a seminar on ‘Education for All’, organised by NCERT. Write a letter to the Professor Incharge requesting her to send you a copy of the working paper prepared for the seminar to enable you to prepare yourself on the subject.
7 March, 20XX
The Professor Incharge
Sub: Education for All
I would like to thank you for inviting our school for the proposed seminar on ‘Education for All’ being organised by your Institute.
Kindly send me a copy of the working paper prepared for the seminar so that I can prepare myself properly and make a meaningful contribution in the deliberations at the seminar.
Looking forward to an early response.
You have been invited to an evening bash at the Nirula’s by Vibhu, your close friend,
to celebrate his selection in NDA. Respond to the invitation. You are Nitin of 56, Gautama Enclave, New Delhi-56. .
56, Gautama Enclave
10 May, 20XX
Thank you very much for your pleasant invitation. I’ll join the evening bash at Nirula’s on 16th May at 6 p.m.
With best wishes.
You are Shiv Khera, a noted educationist. You have been invited by the Value Education Club of Vivekanand Sr. Sec. School, Roop Nagar, New Delhi to deliver a talk on ‘The Importance of Devotion, Dedication and Discipline’ on a date and time convenient to you. Respond to the invitation.
C-2/21, New Defence Colony
25 August, 20XX
Value Education Club
Vivekanand Sr. Sec. School
Roop Nagar, New Delhi
Sub: Invitation to deliver a talk
I thank you for your invitation to speak on a topic dear to me. I hope Friday, the 12th September, 20XX will be acceptable to you.
With best wishes.
You are Monica Kapoor. Your friend Mridula has invited you to her engagement ceremony to be held at the Hallmark Resorts on 1 April 20XX at 6 p.m. Respond to the invitation.
D 27 Vayu Vihar
25 March, 20XX
Thank you very much for the invitation to join your engagement ceremony celebrations at the Hallmark Resorts on the 1st April, 20XX at 6 p.m. I could never think of missing the golden opportunity to see the youngman, our would be ‘jijaji’ and will be positively there.
But halt! The date surprises me. Are you serious or kidding me?
Let us see who plays the fool—one for a day and the other for a whole life.
With best wishes.
You are Abhinav/Aakriti. You have received a letter from your close friend, inviting you to attend the marriage of his sister. But, unfortunately, you cannot attend it due to your previous commitments. Write him a letter regretting your inability to attend the marriage ceremony.
247/C Mayank Apartments
25 March, 20XX
I feel honoured for being invited to attend the marriage of your elder sister, Kunika. Please accept my thanks and congratulations. Unfortunately, due to some unavoidable previous commitments, I shall not be able to attend the ceremony. Kindly do not take it otherwise.
Please do accept a small wedding gift that I am sending for Kunika ‘Didi’ through courier on this auspicious occasion.
You have received an invitation from your aunt at Manali to spend some days during your summer vacation with her. Respond to this invitation. You are Madhav /Manisha, of 27, Patel Nagar, New Delhi.
27 Patel Nagar
25 April, 20XX
Thank you very much for inviting me to spend some part of my summer vacation with you at Manali. I hope to reach Manali by the 15th May and stay there for a week.
Madhav / Manisha
You are Prem Shankar Jha, eminent economist. You have received an invitation from the Lion’s Club to speak on the salient features of the latest budget. Regret your inability due to previous commitments.
27 Ashoka Road
3 March, 20XX
Thanks for sending me an invitation to speak on the salient features of the latest union budget. I regret my inability to join you on the date suggested by you due to heavy and unavoidable prior commitments.
(b) REPLIES TO QUERIES
Blue Star Electronics Ltd., Ludhiana made an offer to Bhatia Electronics, Rohtak for the agency of their new model ‘Goldie’ water coolers. Write a formal letter on behalf of Bhatia Electronics accepting the offer of the agency.
5, Palika Bazar, Rohtak
6 March, 20XX
M/s Blue Star Electronics Ltd.
Hall Bazar, Ludhiana
Sub: Agency of ‘Goldie’ Water Cooler
We gratefully acknowledge the offer of agency of your new product ‘Goldie’ with the terms and conditions contained in the appended brochure.
A demand draft of ₹ 3 lakh payable at Ludhiana is enclosed.
P. Bhatia : Partner
Draft a foimal reply to M/s Sumit Brothers explaining why all the orders have been cancelled.
25, Old Fort Road,
25 October, 20XX
M/s Sumit Brothers
26, Central Market
Sub: Cancelling of Orders
Your dealings with us defy all ethics of business norms and culture. In spite of repeated reminders you have been deliberately withholding outstanding payments. Since the amount due towards you exceeds ten times your deposit with us, we are constrained to cancel all your previous orders placed with us.
Draft a formal reply to an Education Society seeking the franchise of ABN Public School. Delhi.
ABN Public School, Delhi
3 May, 20XX
Bright Education Society
Sub: Franchise of ABN Public School
We acknowledge the receipt of your letter dated 25 Feb. 2003 seeking franchise of our institution. Please find enclosed a brochure containing the detailed information of requirements to be fulfilled before you formally apply on the appended form.
you are Ms. S. Janaki, lecturer in Physics, Shyarna Girls School, Jodhpur. You had or study leave for 2 years. Draft a reply on behalf of the Principal explaining why study leave can’t be sanctioned to you.
Shyarna Girls School
3 Jan, 20XX
Ms S. Janaki
Lecturer in Physics
I regret to inform you that your application for study leave has been rejected by the governing body as you fail to fulfil the minimum eligibility period of 5 years’ regular service, you can apply afresh as and when you are eligible to avail this facility.
You are the Principal of St George Public School, Chennai. You had requested the Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Chennai to hold an exhibition of observance of ‘Safety Week’ at your school. Draft a reply from the Commissioner of Police showing his willingness to provide men and material for observance of the safety week.
Coinmissioner of Police (Traffic)
10 Periyar Road
26 August, 20XX
St George Public School
Sub: Observance of Safety Week
We assure you all the help and cooperation with men and material to make the observance of the Safety Week at your school a grand success. Posters, placards and other literature will be provided for holding the exhibition.
Police Commissioner (T)
You are Anil Vats, a student of XII C, Bal Bharati School, Pusa Road, New Delhi. You had made certain enquiries to become a member of Delhi Public Library. As libranar draft a formal reply in response to your queries.
Delhi Public Library
30 March, 20XX
Received your letter dated 20 August, 20XX. The rules for obtaining the membership of the DP Library are very simple. Fill in the form for membership (available at the enquiry counter). Get it attested by the Principal of your school and submit it along with the security amount. You will get your membership card and the tickets the next day.
You had applied for the membership of Kotla Club, Delhi and also made certain, enquiries regarding the admission of new members. Draft a reply from the secretary the club asking for certain clarifications before you can be enrolled as a member.
17 Oct., 20XX
Sh. Jai Prakash Gupta
3672, Chawri Bazar
Your request for membership of the club is under active consideration. Kindly furnish certificates from two responsible persons (not related to you) regarding your character and conduct.
You are Vinod Aggarwal, father of Priyanka, a student of Mother’s School, Kolkata. You had requested the Principal of the school for providing certain facilities (computer education, health awareness, moral education, more indoor games, etc). Draft a reply on behalf of the Principal indicating that the issue will be discussed in the forthcoming meeting of P.T.A.
25 Sept., 20XX
Sh. Vinod Aggarwal
27/427 Harrison Road,
Thanks for your letter suggesting betterment of facilities in the school. The issue will be discussed in the next meeting of the P.T.A. scheduled for 5 October, 20XX. Kindly make it a point to attend and push your views across in the deliberations. Yours faithfully S. Ghoshal Principal
You are Neeraj, a student of XII class of Girdhari Lai Model School, Jungpura, Jind. You had requested the Principal, Hindu Sr. Sec. School, Sonepat for migration. Draft a reply from the Principal expressing his inability to accede to your request.
Hindu Sr. Sec. School
21 July, 20XX
Dear Mr Neeraj
I am sorry to inform you that your request for migration to this institution in class XII cannot be acceded to. We allow migration only in class XI. Moreover, we do not have additional seats in class XII to accommodate students from outside.
You are Suresh Kumar of village Sherpur in Gurgaon district. You had requested the District Health Officer on behalf of the villagers to open a dispensary in your village. You had also made certain other enquiries. Draft a formal reply from the District – Health Officer, Gurgaon.
The District Health Officer
25 March, 20XX
Sh. Suresh Kumar
Sub: Opening of Dispensary
Your request for opening a dispensary in village Sherpur is under active consideration. Kindly send an attested copy of the resolution of the village Panchayat offering to transfer the building and 1.5 acre land to the government for the dispensary. This will help in early disposal of the case.
Distt. Health Officer
TEST YOUR SKILLS
- You were invited by the local unit of Boogie Woogie, a talent search organisation, to make a selection of the local teams for participation in the zonal competition and performance at the national level. But you are not in a position to do so because you have met with an accident. Write a letter to the convener regretting your inability to honour the request explaining to him your position. You are Arun/Aruna Joglekar.
- You have received an invitation to attend the prize giving ceremony on the occasion of the Regional Social Sciences Exhibition. Write a letter to the Secretary of the ‘The World View’ (the organiser of the exhibition) informing him about your inability to attend. Give three reasons.
- You were invited by a friend of yours to spend some days at his farmhouse in Manali during the summer vacation. Respond to his invitation.
- Write an informal reply to your pen-friend in the U.K assuring her of all help and guidance dining her planned forthcoming visit to India.
- You are Arun/Aruna. You have been invited to attend the wedding of your friend’s sister during summer vacation. Respond to the invitation accepting the invitation.
- You have received an invitation from the Manager, Youth Club IIT, Powai, Mumbai to attend the Premiere of the play called ‘Desh Ki Pukar’. Write a letter of regret giving at least three reasons for your not being able to attend the programme.
- You are Rahul/Neha. You have been invited by the Three Arts Club of your locality to give a dance performance on the occasion of its Silver Jubilee Celebrations. Respond to the invitation.
- You are the President, Literary Society of your school. You had requested the famous writer Mulk Raj Anand to inaugurate the Society’s Talent Search Function. Mr Anand has raised certain queries regarding the activities of the society, its membership, previous performance etc. Send a brief informal reply.
- You were invited by your friend S. Kumar to the marriage of his son, but due to some unavoidable circumstances you can’t leave the station. Write a reply expressing your inability to attend the function. You are V.K Malhotra of 235, Mayur Vihar, Delhi.
- Draft a reply, in not more than 50 words, accepting an invitation to be present on the occasion of the first marriage anniversary of your cousin Urvashi.
- Mr S.K. Sarin’s mother died on 10 July, 20XX. His friends and relatives sent him letters of condolence. Draft a reply on behalf of Mr Sarin thanking his close friend Anurag Sibal of 25 Golf Links, New Delhi for sharing his grief during the bereavement.
- You wrote an article on ‘Psuedo-Secularism in India’ and sent it to The Times of India for publication. On behalf of the Editor, The Times of India, write a letter regretting that your article has not been found acceptable for the paper.
- You wrote a letter to the Dyal Singh Memorial Library seeking information regarding the membership of the library. Draft a reply on behalf of the Librarian, DSM Library in response to your letter.
- You are S.P. Singh, manager Dark Horses Club, Kashmiri Gate, Delhi. Write a reply to Young Heroes Club, Lucknow expressing your inability to accept their offer of. a friendly match at Lucknow on the coming Sunday. Give three reasons.
- You are P.K. Mehta, the Personnel Manager, Hindustan Cables, Bangalore. Write a letter to one Sumit Hegde of 327, Garden Road, Mysore expressing your inability to re-appoint him.
- You are Rohan, the secretary of the Eco-Club of your school. You want to start a ‘Greener City – Cleaner City campaign in your city. You have approached the secretary, Green Earth, a voluntary organisation, for help and guidance. Draft a reply on behalf of the secretary, Green Earth explaining what sort of assistance and guidance they can render.
- You sent some suggestions to THE HERALD, a local weekly for giving more space to local news and issues. Draft a formal reply on behalf of the Editor accepting your suggestions but declining to cut advertisements.
- On behalf of Shabana Azmi, M.P. and noted film star, write a reply accepting the invitation of the Little Angels Club – a society running an orphanage, to preside over their Diwali Mela celebrations.
- Draft a formal reply on behalf of the leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha accepting the invitation of the Students’ Forum, ABC School Noida, to inaugurate their Mock- Parliament.
- As manager of R.S. Dhami & Sons, Agra write a letter to M/s Raj Kumar Prem Kumar, New Market, Barot responding to their query why their firm has been blacklisted by you.
More Resources for CBSE Class 12: