CBSE Revision Notes for Class 10 English First Flight Chapter 1 Dust of Snow
Central Idea of the Poem
The ‘Dust of Snow’, by Robert Frost is a small and simple poem with a deep meaning”. It expresses the significance of small things in changing one’s attitude. The poem reiterates that the little things in life can make huge changes in our future. It also shows that if we take the hard times of life in stride eventually something will happen to change our situation into happier times.
EXPLANATION OF THE POEM
The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree
dust of snow – particles of snow
hemlock tree – a poisonous plant (tree) with small white flowers
Exp – The poet, Robert Frost, recounts a small incident that changes his mood. It seems very ‘ simple but it has great significance. The poet was once very depressed and hopeless. He was in a state of sorrow and was lost in his thoughts. He was standing under the hemlock tree. Suddenly a crow, that was sitting on the tree, shook the tree and the fine particles of snow from the tree fell on the poet.
Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.
mood – a state of mind
rued – held in regret
Exp – When the soft and cold snow fell on the poet it changed his mood from sad to happy. He started feeling soothed and refreshed. This simple incident helped him enjoy the remaining part of the day. He, thus, became happy as it saved his rest of the day from being wasted and held in regret.
Poetic Devices Used in the Poem
- Rhyme scheme – abab
- Symbolism – Hemlock tree, Crow
For More Resources
- NCERT Solutions for Class 10 English
- CBSE Class 10 English First Flight Chapter Wise Question Bank
- CBSE Class 10 English Footprints Without Feet Chapter Wise Question Bank
- CBSE Class 10 English First Flight Extra Questions
- CBSE Class 10 English Footprints Without Feet Extra Questions
- CBSE Revision Notes for Class 10 English First Flight
- CBSE Revision Notes for Class 10 English Footprints Without Feet