GSEB Solutions for Class 6 Science and Technology – Simple Machine (English Medium)
A plier is used to remove a nail from a plank.
We make use of a particular instrument to make our work easy, and to do it in a fast and better way.
A pair of scissors is used to cut cloth.
A sharpener is used to a sharpen pencil
A cold drink bottle can be easily opened with the help of a bottle opener.
- A boulder can be moved by using a rod placed under a small stone.
- A wheel barrow is used to move heavy things from one place to another, generally at construction sites.
- A pair of scissors is used to cut paper, clothes, etc.
- Kitchen tongs are used to pick hot or cold kitchen utensils to protect the hands while serving.
- A lemon squeezer is used to extract juice from a lemon.
- A nutcracker or a nut cutter is used to break nuts.
The cycle can be easily placed on the veranda by using the ramp.
The following are the places where screws are used in classrooms:
- To make chairs, tables, benches, desk and join wooden planks.
- To fix the black board and bulletin board firmly on the wall.
- To fix hinges, handles, stopper, etc. to the door and windows.
A potato can be easily cut using the sharp side of a knife. This is because the sharp end of the knife is wedge shaped and can easily slice through the potato, while the blunt side of knife is not wedge shaped and does not easily cut the potato.
The sharp nail can be fixed in the wooden plank easily. This is because a sharp nail has a wedge like structure. Due to this structure, it easily gets inserted in the wooden plank with less effort. In case of a blunt nail, there is no wedge like structure and so it does not get inserted into the wooden plank despite hammering it hard.
Needle, knife, pin, spade, shovel and teeth are some examples of wedge type machines.
The match box with the wheels can be pulled easily.
The use of a pulley does not change the force required but changes the direction of the force applied.
Sewing machine, bicycle, typewrite, crane, scooter, etc. are some examples of complex machines.
The following are the names of five simple machines used in the kitchen:
- Kitchen tongs
- Lemon squeezer
- Bottle or can opener
The following are the names of five simple machines which we use in our everyday life:
- Bottle opener
- Beam balance
- Fishing rod
- The invention of the ‘wheel’ leads to the invention of vehicles. All our daily modes of transport like cycles, scooters, steam engines and even airplanes need wheels. This has made transportation easy.
- In factories, wheels and gears are widely used. Gears are used to control the speed of various machines.
- Wheels are used in combination with the axle to move many machines and heavy objects.
- Thus, the invention of the wheel was important for the progress of mankind and is an important machine even today.
- A wooden plank is used to form a slope between the truck and the ground.
- The length of the plank is more than the height of the slope. This makes it easier to shift the loads as the length of the slope is more than its height.
- Thus, the force required to push the load into the truck decreases due to the slope. Hence, to load a truck a plank is used.
The person can shift the heavy box easily by keeping two smooth cylindrical wooden pieces under the box.