GSEB Solutions for Class 8 Science and Technology – Adaptation (English Medium)
Boat and fish structures are narrow at its anterior and posterior ends and swollen in the middle region.
Fish possess nostrils in place of nose.
- Fish have gills for respiration and tail to change its direction.
- Sea turtles possess forelimbs that are modified into long flippers for swimming.
|Size of the body||Modified forms of hand, legs, waist, feet||Hands modified into wings|
|Shape of the body||Differ in shape||Definite shape|
|Weight of the body||Variable weight||Light weight|
|Comparison between their hands, legs, nose, eyes, etc||Various functions are performed by hands, legs, nose and eyes||Birds possess wings, beak and webbed feet.|
The food habits of dove and eagle vary depending on their adaptation to the environment. The dove feeds on dead animals and small insects whereas the vultures feed on some reptiles.
he similarities of the above burrowing animals are-
- Presence of teeth
- Feed on animals
- Live in burrows
- Eyes located on the sides of the head
- All are vertebrates
- Pigeon (Due to the nature of feed, the beaks are small and pointed. They feed on insects; so, it is easy for them to pick insects)
- Eagle (The eagles also need to feed on the dead animals as they tear off their skin)
- Crow/Birds (The birds fly and rest at a particular place; they put pressure on that particular place with the help of their feet to fly again)
- Duck (They swim on water; so, they need webbed feet)
|Observed organ||A plant of Zizypus/ Acacia/ Date palm||A plant of money plant/ Water chest nut (Trapa)/ Lotus|
|Root system||Fibrous root||Taproot|
|Stem||Tough and fibrous vascular bundle||Weak stem|
|Leaf||Long leaves||Heart shaped with yellow spots|
|Other||Requires high temperature for growth||Needs room temperature to grow|
The upper surface of the leaves is deep green due to the presence of chlorophyll but the lower surface is rough due to projections from the veins.
Due to variation of food habits like nuts, fruits, nectar and animal feeds, the beaks of the birds differ. For example, the beak of crows and vultures are sharp and pointed so they can tear off the dead animal’s body and the doves, sparrows feed on insects from the ground due to which they have small and pointed beaks.
The hairs help polar animals like polar bears stay warm by trapping the heat close to the skin. So, the polar animals are said to be warm blooded animals.