GSEB Solutions for Class 8 Science and Technology – Modern Agriculture (English Medium)
- Boat anchor plough
- Double action rear blade
- Single Disc Plough
- Double Disc Plough
- Rotary Tiller
- Disc Harrow
The main function of the tractor is to pull agricultural machineries like ploughs, seed drills, harrows etc. for irrigation purposes. The tractor is also used to level agricultural land.
Combines, Shellers and Threshers are used to separate seeds from its cob.
Sprayers, Mist blowers, Smoke generators, Hydraulic spray nozzles and Atomizers are used to spray insecticides.
Tomatoes, Chilies, Sweet corn, Basil, Mint, Radish, Lemon, Lettuce can be grown in the kitchen-garden
Modern methods of farming have many advantages:
- The soil is made fertile by adding soil nutrition after analysis of the soil and the suitability for the seeds/crops for maximum yield.
- Mechanization and use of modern machinery for ploughing, leveling, winnowing, harvesting, spraying and irrigating have reduced manual labor.
- Use of scientific data and technology has helped better agricultural inputs.
- Modern storage and transportation has helped reduce wastage.
- Crop protection is one important feature of modern methods of farming.
|Hydroponics||Agriculture on land|
|(i) Hydroponics is a technique of growing plants without soil.||(i) This requires soil to grow plants.|
|(ii) No use of pesticides or insecticides.||(ii) Pesticides and insecticides are applied.|
|(iii) No particular area is required for agriculture.||(iii) Large agricultural land is required.|
|(iv) The crops can be grown throughout the year if we maintain proper environmental conditions.||(iv) The crops are grown according to natural climate and seasons.|
Good varieties of crops can be grown with the help of ‘grafting’ or ‘cutting’ method.
Mango, Chiku, Coconut, Pomegranate and Guava are the fruits that can be grown with the help of cutting method.