NCERT Solutions for Class 9 English Workbook Unit 8 Prepositions
Read the following passage on New Zealand:
New Zealand is a Mecca for nature lovers. Throughout most of New Zealand’s geological history, it was a bird’s paradise. The islands were once part of the southern supercontinent Gondwana from which they broke off around 80 million years ago before mammals had evolved and spread, courtesy : Terra Green, Sept 2008, issue 06)
Identify the functions of the prepositions in each of these sentences:
- George’ Washington served as the Commander-in-Chief during the American Revolutionary War.
- The assassin shot the leader with a gun.
- Pratap bequeathed his property to charity.
- Manoj was awarded a certificate for his good conduct.
- The roof is covered with fireproof sheets.
More Resources for CBSE Class 9
- NCERT Solutions
- NCERT Solutions Class 9 Maths
- NCERT Solutions Class 9 Science
- NCERT Solutions Class 9 Social Science
- NCERT Solutions Class 9 English
- NCERT Solutions Class 9 Hindi
- NCERT Solutions Class 9 Sanskrit
- NCERT Solutions Class 9 IT
- RD Sharma Class 9 Solutions
Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions:
- The magician made the girl disappear my__________ own eyes.
- He climbed_________ the ladder.
- There is a supermarket__________ our house.
- The train was late__________ 3 hrs
- in front of
Group the prepositions in the box below to indicate their use as prepositions of place (P), movement (M) or time (T). There may be more than one category for each:
A student from a lower c help her illustrate for her class, the use of different prepositions. In groups of four, choose one of the following lists of prepositions and draw simple pictures to illustrate their meaning:
Prepositions of Location
Work in pairs—Student A and Student B. Student A only—turn to Page 117. Keep the picture secret from Student B. Describe exactly what you see to Student B, who must draw the picture from the information given. At the end, compare the two pictures. Draw your picture in the box below:
In the middle there s a small house. Behind the house there are two hills. Several birds are flying over the house…
For self attempt.
This description is taken from a well- known film. Can you guess which one?
A man in a red cape and blue tights is flying over a city. On his chest is the letter S. Below him a large crowd is pointing up at him.
Imagine a scene from a play, film or TV show you have seen. Describe (a) where things and people are, and (b) any movement. Follow the example. Show your description to your partner. Guess each other’s play or film.
Study the map and the key given below carefully, and complete the sentences that follow:
- Ramapur (Capital)
- Strange Lake
- Neverest Hills
Complete the following:
Now describe the position of the other eight places, using some of the words in the box:
- Lalnagar is situated below the Neverest Hills in the north of Halsi Island.
- Sarkor is on the north coast of the Island.
- Timpur lies on the bank of river Exe.
- Rampur (capital) lies on the south of the island, north of Bhingai Island.
- Marwah is located along the delta of river Exe. ‘
- Chickoor is located on the outskirts of the Bir Forest.
- Strange Lake lies in the centre of the island.
- Neverest Hills are located in the northeast part of Halsi Island.
- Nafran lies betweeij Timpur and Chickoor.
- Lakshmanpur lies half-way along the west coast of Halsi Island.
Look at the map below:
You have invited three friends to a party at your house. Write three separate notes, giving them directions from 1,2 and 3 to your house. You may use the words in the box:
The directions from (1) are given here as an example
Go down Diwan Marg and turn right down Antonio Avenue. Walk as far as the traffic lights, then turn right into Mount Road. Turn first left into The Crescent and my house is on the left.
For self attempt.
Work in pairs. Put one pencil on a point on the map where you live, and put another pencil on any other point. Ask your partner to tell the direction for getting to your house.
Prepositions of Time
You have recently been to a wedding. A British pen friend asks you to describe it. Using the words in the box, describe the different stages. Write only the body of the letter below:
Common Combinations Using Prepositions
Link the words from the different columns to produce meaningful sentences. One has been completed as an example. If you wish, write out the correct sentences in your notebook.
- He went on foot.
- She is ill in hospital.
- They’re so much in love.
- The Prince came by air.
- The poor animal is in pain.
- That’s enough for the moment.
- The style is out of date.
- They met by chance.
- My house is not for sale.
- He’s not at work.
Verbs and Prepositions
Fill in the gaps with suitable prepositions:
- You’re right. I agree_________
- The conclusions are based__________extensive research.
- He arrived_________ Delhi airport at 2 am and then arrived____________ the city at 4 am.
- He angrily shouted_____________ the pupil.
- “Remember the party!” she shouted her friend.
- A differs__________ B in a number of ways.
- He applied_________ the teaching job but was turned down.
- She replied________ his last letter.
- They apologized__________ breaking
- Do you believe__________ ghosts?
- at, in
Adjectives and Prepositions
Look at the table below. Decide which of the adjectives in Column A commonly go with which preposition. Tick the table as shown. (There may be more than one tick for each adjective):
- Mary is bad_________ Maths
- Fruit is good_________You
- Ram was married_________ Beenafor 10 years. They were very happy.
- This tool is more_______planting wood.
- What good news! I’m so_________You
- He’s_________ _________ her; she looks ill.
- She’s ashamed_________her bad behaviour
- They are fond _________dancing.
- He was absent _________the Science Club yesterday
- suitable for
- happy for
- worried about
Think of a person in your class, and use adjectives + prepositions from 14 to describe him/her in about two or three sentences. Don’t give a name.
She’s good at Maths.
She’s keen on hiking.
She is fond of music.
She is curious to know about the aliens. She is famous for her good behaviour.
She is afraid of dogs.
She is worried about her future.
Show your description to your partner. Let her or him guess who it is.
The following diagram explains the use of some of these prepositions: