Soil – Maharashtra Board Class 8 Solutions for General Science (English Medium)
Soil is made of stones, pebbles, sand, fine soil particles and organic substances.
The constituents of plant origin in the soil include bacteria, fungi, algae, blue-green algae and decomposed leaves.
The following steps can be taken to prevent erosion of soil:
- Soil must be kept covered by allowing the grass to grow and planting of trees.
- Bunds are built to stop the flowing water which washes away the soil and causes soil erosion.
- Soil erosion can be reduced by arranging soil horizontally across the line of the slope.
a. False. The texture of soil can be determined by the proportion of the particles of different sizes.
b. False. Soil is eroded by the fast-flowing currents of water.
|a. Algae||2. Factors of plant origin|
|b. Soil erosion||3. Wind|
|c. Social forestry||1. Farming on fallow land|
- Plants satisfy man’s basic needs for food, clothing and shelter.
- Plants and animals are the organic constituents of soil.
- Land should be covered to prevent erosion.
- Disturbance of the natural balance of soil is called soil pollution.
- The Government has started the social forestry project to protect forests.