Click here to get access to the best NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English. Go through these Types of Sentences Exercises For Class 6 With Answers to learn English.
Parts Of Speech Exercises for Class 6 With Answers CBSE – English Grammar
Words are divided into different kinds or classes. These are called Parts of Speech according to their use, that is, according to the work they do in a sentence. The Parts of Speech are eight in number:
1. Noun 2. Pronoun 3. Adjective 4. Verb
5. Adverb 6. Preposition 7. Conjunction 8. Interjection
On the basis of these eight parts, words of English are classified.
|Part of Speech||Explanation||Examples|
|Noun||A word that names a person, a place or a thing.||boy, Sameer, cat, Paris|
|Pronoun||A word that is used instead of a noun.||I, he, you, yourself|
|Adjective||A word that describes a person or thing.||pretty, easy, fat|
|Verb||A word or group of words that express an action or a state.||go, jump, be, think|
|Adverb||A word that describes or gives more information about a verb, an adjective, another adverb, or even the entire sentence.||quickly, tomorrow, outside|
|Preposition||A word that is used before a noun or a pronoun to connect it to another word in the sentence. It is usually used to show location, direction, time, and so forth.||on, in, to, from, of|
|Conjunction||A word that joins parts of a sentence together.||and, or, but|
|Interjection||A short sound, word or phrase used to express the speaker’s emotion.||wow, hmm, well, oh dear|
Name the Part of Speech of each italicised word in the following sentences, giving in each case your reason for the classification:
- He still lives in that house.
- The aftereffects of the drug are bad.
- He told us all about the battle.
- Suddenly one of the wheels came off.
- Mohammedans fast in the month of Ramzan.
- He kept the fast for a week.
- He is on the committee.
- Let us move on.
- The up train is late.
- I will watch while you sleep.
- Adverb – adds something to the meaning of the verb ‘lives’.
- Adjective – adds something to the meaning of the noun ‘effects’.
- Preposition – shows the relation between ‘all’ and ‘battle’.
- Adverb – adds something to the meaning of the verb ‘come’.
- Verb – says something about ‘Mohammedans’.
- Noun – the name of something.
- Preposition – shows the relation between ‘he’ and ‘committee’.
- Adverb – adds something to the meaning of the word ‘move’.
- Adjective – adds something to the meaning of the verb ‘train’.
- Conjunction – joins the two parts ‘I will watch’ and “you sleep’
- The Sentence Exercise With Answers
- Kinds Of Noun Exercise With Answers
- Tenses Exercise With Answers
- Uses Of Articles (A, An And The) Exercise With Answers
- Degrees Of Comparison Exercise With Answers
- Modals Exercise With Answers
- Correct Use Of Verbs Exercise With Answers
- Correct Uses Of Prepositions Exercise With Answers
- Active And Passive Voice Exercise With Answers
- Editing Task (Omissions) Exercise With Answers
- Editing Task (Error Correction) Exercise With Answers
- Rearrangement Of Words (Jumbled Words) Exercise With Answers
- Word Power Exercise With Answers