Our team of subject expert teachers has prepared and reviewed the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Civics Chapter 7 Urban Administration are given here will help you to prepare well and score good numbers in exams.
Urban Administration NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science Civics Chapter 7
Class 6 Civics Chapter 7 Urban Administration InText Questions and Answers
List at least four different tasks that the Municipality does :
The Municipality does the following tasks.
- Lay down the park.
- Opening of hospitals and dispensaries.
- Opens school for children.
- Ensures that the disease should not break out in the city.
Fill in the blanks in the sentences below :
- In a panchayat, the elected members are called Panch.
- The city is divided into several wards.
- In a Municipal Corporation, the elected members are called Councillors.
- Groups of councilors deal with issues that affect the entire city.
- Elections are held once every five years for the Panchayat as well as for the Municipality.
- While the councilors make decisions the administrative staff led by the commissioner implement these.
What was Gangabai protesting about?
Gangabai was protesting because the garbage was not being collected from the streets and if it remains uncollected it attracts dogs, rats, and flies. Also, people get ill from the smell. Even the children did not play in the streets because their parents were afraid that they did get sick from staying on the streets too long.
Why does Gangabai approach the Ward Councillor?
Gangabai decided to approach the Ward Councillor because he was elected by them.
Do you know when and how often garbage gets collected in your neighborhood?
The garbage is collected once a day, in the early morning in my locality.
Do you think it is the same for all neighborhoods of the city? Why not? Discuss.
It is not the same in all parts of the city because :
- Municipal Corporation does not have enough workers.
- Sometimes the workers are reluctant to work and leave the garbage on the road.
- The households throw the garbage on the streets.
- The vehicles are parked on the roadside, making it difficult for the workers to clean the city.
Class 6 Civics Chapter 7 Urban Administration Exercise Questions and Answers
Why did the children go to Yasmin Khala’s house?
The children went to Yasmin Khala’s house to know about who is competent to replace the damaged street lights.
List four ways in which the work of the Municipal Corporation affects the life of the city-dweller.
The work of the Municipal corporation affects the life of the people in the following ways :
- It takes care of the street light.
- Collects garbage.
- Looks after the water supply.
- Keeping the streets and markets clean.
Who is a Municipal Councillor?
The elected representative of a ward is the Municipal Councillor.
What did Gangabai do and why?
Gangabai and others wanted to protest because the garbage was not collected from the streets. Gangabai together with other people, Sanitation engineers, and Ward councilor went to the Municipal Corporation office to meet Commissioner. When he started giving excuses saying that the Corporation did not have enough trucks, Gangabai questioned him that how do they have trucks to collect garbage from the rich localities.
The Commissioner promised to look into the matter and Gangabai threatened that if it was not collected in two days’ time, a larger group of women would protest in front of his office.
How does the Municipal Corporation earn the money to do its work?
- Collection of taxes from the people for providing various services, ex. water tax, property tax
- Taxes on hotels or shops.
- Taxes on entertainment like cinemas.
In the two photographs (given in the textbook, page 63-64) you see different ways of collecting and disposing
(1) Which way do you think provides safety to the person disposing of garbage
The way shown in photo 2 provides safety to the person disposing of garbage.
(ii) What ate the dangers of collecting garbage m the manner shown in the first photograph?
The dangers of collecting garbage in the manner shown in the first photograph are:
- poisonous gas infection
- breathing problems
- falling sick
- falling victim to the epidemic.
- skin disease.
(iii) why do you think that proper ways of disposing of garbage are not available to those who work in the municipalities?
Proper ways of disposing of garbage are not available to those who work in municipalities because of the following reasons:
- The poor economic condition of the municipalities,
- Pilferage of municipal funds,
- Workers are not aware of their health,
- They do not want to work in right earnest,
- The government now has started providing trucks etc. but not still in adequate numbers.
(a) Why do you think it is important that the corporation should spend more money on slum localities?
Slum localities are the places where slum dwellers live in unhygienic conditions. They did not have toilets and bathrooms in their homes. They make use of public conveniences. The garbage is littered all over the place with standing water. It becomes the breeding ground for many diseases. They do not have medical facilities. It is from such conditions that epidemics spread. So the municipal corporation should spend more money on such localities.
(b) Why is it important that the municipal corporation should provide the poor in the city with the same facilities that the rich get?
It is the responsibility of the municipal corporation to keep the whole city clean and not part of it. If the poor are not given the same facility that the rich get, they will feel neglected and discriminated against. All people are equal and everyone has a right to life. The poor are unable to get many facilities themselves like the rich can get.
What are the reasons given by the Municipal corporation not clean the slums?
The reasons were given by the municipal corporation not to clean the slums are:
- The corporation says that land in which the poor have set up their homes do not belong to it.
- Slum-dwellers do not pay any taxes.